POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direct links to other's resources : Re: Direct links to other's resources Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct links to other's resources
From: Ken
Date: 16 May 2000 21:11:35
Message: <3921F12E.3D70CD20@pacbell.net>
Alex McMurray wrote:

> One matter I have not seen mentioned here is the danger of broken links to
> images that no longer exist, a POV artist, who has a very good image file
> on his site, like Rune for instance, the artist has no idea that someone
> has a link directly to his image, he then decides that the image is not
> good enough and changes it, hence, a broken link.

 This has caused me a lot of work. I used to bypass the entry page
to a web site and linked directly to the page containing a particular
resource. Without letting me know site owners have redesigned their
web sites and renamed the page containing the resoures I was linking
to. When checking for broken links I had to try to find out why my
links were no longer any good. For the most part I know link only to
the main page. I know it takes longer for people to find the stuff I
am linking to but they have a better chance of at least finding the
right web site.